Thursday 16 December 2010

Metal Inquisition




I don't even know how I found Metal Inquisition...
I really don't.
It's discovery was lost in the haze of trawling through the internet reading about music - kind of like being on You Tube I guess (so I'm told) where you start off looking for something specific, follow a related link and in four clicks you are looking at Two Girls, One Cup.

The advantages and problem with the internet is that is limitless. I spend a fair bit of time on it but in specific corners that clearly mark out territory and I can quite happily live without it. I have friends who seem to be on it all the time if possible and there is a wild look of fear in their eyes if it is unavailable.
However on one random journey (at this point I'm just theorising and dressing this up in romantic hyperbole, like Ahab at sea looking for Moby Dick) I somehow stumbled across Metal Inquisition.
Sadly now a shadow of it's former self the blog was funny. Guys clearly older, who viewed Metal with a world weary sense - they knew it was big and dumb, they knew how close minded a lot of heavy music followers are and just how shit it can be.
When I found it I knew I had come home, sure some of it offended bands I love, but if you can't take the knocks grow a thicker skin or fuck off.

I shared their views even at my more youthful stage. You only have to wander round a festival site to see how many wankers take themselves too seriously.
I've done the thing where you run around and go see every single band, I get it, but what I don't get is 'scene fashion' - you know Goths for example wearing a ton of leather and chains and face paint in the sweltering heat, only to be seen later half undressed, sunburnt and passed out.
Every genre (another pet hate I will get to) has it's own dress sense be it dickheads with silly haircuts, jeans with skinny legs and baggy arses or jock assholes with too many tattoos, wife beater vests, baggy shorts and an over abundance of testosterone - every genre has it's failings.
If you can't poke fun at yourself then really stay the hell away from me.
Metal Inquisition was that for me, they liked things to wind up the metal purists and for someone who ensures there is dance, hip hop and William Shatner on playlists for festivals (and was recently told I was at the wrong place!) it was an instant connect.

The guys have grown tired and weary, no longer listen to that much metal, certainly not since the early nineties it seems and are running out of steam and desire but for the inspiration, the laughs and the amazing ability to annoy the dumb I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment